Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Employment Loser

Last year, I lost my job twice.  Well, it wasn’t my job, but the job I was working.  In both cases, it was unexpected and set off a series of annoying events called interviews.  Of course, nobody ever really enjoys them, even the interviewer.

It’s not my misanthropy gets in my way, it’s just that I find the whole process to be pointless.  Except for the technical part where I have to demonstrate that yes, I am qualified for the position I am interviewing for.

Employment is a weird thing.  In the white collar world, it involves a lot of waiting I’ve found.  Most of the time this is due to the fact that the upper management types are trying to figure out what is going on and what we need to do.  At least in larger companies.

In smaller ones, this almost never happens.  You are working almost nonstop.  Usually you are trying to make sure that the stuff you do does not make life harder for any future employees.

I have been in the workforce for almost 10 years now.  I’ve seen a lot already.  I’ve seen companies whose only employees are immigrates who would be deported if they lost their job there.  I got laid off from that one.

I’ve seen smaller companies struggling to compete with larger ones for labor.  What I mean is, this company was in a location where big companies like Facebook ate up all the good labor.

I’ve been a contractor and had to face the problem of finding new employment at the end of the contract, as well as getting my own benefits.  With an infant son.

I have learned a lot, more so than I have ever in college, and I will probably learn more as time passes.

Being employed is a good thing though.  It keeps you sane in what is otherwise an insane world.  And it keeps you from practicing animal husbandry, unless you want to do that.

I would love to live a life of leisure.  Except when I get a life of temporary leisure, I get bored quick.  Even video games don’t satisfy me for very long.

In any event, I am hoping to keep my current job for at least a few years.  I don’t know if I will, but it would be nice to have some stability for a while as I figure out what to do with my family.

The important thing, though, is that I build wealth while I can.  I don’t plan on retiring, but if I direct my money toward endeavors that will reduce my monthly expenses, I won’t need to keep a high-powered career later on in life when I may very be unable to do so.