Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Legalized Drug Abuse

So the top headline on the Drudge Report today was “27 Million Americans on Antidepressants” and this was something that actually peaked my interest.  So I read through the article and I will spare you all of it but here is a summary:
Use of antidepressant drugs in the United States doubled between 1996 and 2005, probably because of a mix of factors, researchers reported on Monday.
About 6 percent of people were prescribed an antidepressant in 1996 -- 13 million people. This rose to more than 10 percent or 27 million people by 2005, the researchers found.
"Significant increases in antidepressant use were evident across all sociodemographic groups examined, except African Americans," Dr. Mark Olfson of Columbia University in New York and Steven Marcus of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia wrote in the Archives of General Psychiatry.
So pretty much ever since their introduction into all of our wonderful group health plans, antidepressant drugs have started to become a mainstream drug to treat all forms of depression.  While I question whether the drug was responsible for the serious of school shootings we have seen during that time period, I wonder why so many people have felt a need to bury their sorrows and pain in a chemical-altering drug.
It really makes me sick.  I know that there are people who have serious chemical imbalances that prevent them from even getting out of bed in the morning and that those imbalances require the treatment that antidepressants provide, but I do not believe that 27 million people have that problem.  I believe that the vast majority of those people taking antidepressants are hiding from their own emotions and not facing the reality of their own lives.
I am sure there are a variety of reasons why a large number of people feel that way.  I am certain that those same feelings are shared by even more Americans at various times.  It is difficult to find someone who is happy everyday of their life.  I am no ray of sunshine myself, as my wife is always complaining about me not getting excited about various things I should be excited about.  But I do not take antidepressants.
As for the reasons why so many people are taking antidepressants, I think it is probably the constant feelings of insignificance and overall hopelessness that we all feel from time to time.  Life is just a series of struggles, large and small, and there is nothing that can really change that.  Eventually, you will lose a major struggle and you will take the external, celestial dirt nap we have to face.  And death is no joyous occasion for anyone.  I suspect that many people think they need to make a difference for other people in their own lives before they die.  It is definitely a common factor in American culture, often times glamorized by the entertainment culture, and explains why so many elites seek to impose their forms of Statism on the rest of us.
I think people need a better grounding in reality.  When I read through Ecclesiastes, I was astounded.  How can such a thing be written the Bible, a message of a loving and caring God?  But then I read this passage in chapter 2:24-25:
A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?
That passage sums up most of our significance in this world.  You can do nothing better with your life than eat, drink, and find satisfaction in your work. It really simplifies our lives if you think about it.  Human beings have a tendency to make things overly complicated when there are just some simple, basic things you can do to find true happiness in life.
So please, spare the details of why you need to take antidepressants.  Unless you really do have a serious chemical imbalance that cannot be managed through any other means, you have no business abusing antidepressants.