Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Euthanasia Finally Comes to the United States

Well, it had to happen eventually. When the government subsidizes health care or completely pays for it, eventually, the government will decide that you don't qualify for more health care:

Other nations that utilize such programs typically deny costly treatments
to patients who are senior citizens, and McCaughey warns that would be the case
in the United States, too.

"Daschle says health-care reform 'will not be pain free.' Seniors
should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of
treating them. That means the elderly will bear the brunt," she warned.

"Medicare now pays for treatments deemed safe and effective. The
stimulus bill would change that and apply a cost-effectiveness standard," she
said.

You know, I'm not surprised by this. Eventually, the self-destructive nature of the medical welfare system and Social Security will come around. The baby boom generation has decided that the greatest generation doesn't deserve to live anymore. The only thing that surprises me about this is that it was the baby boomers who start instituting this policy. My money was on the generation X'ers implementing that kind of policy for their own parents.

This is why you don't bite the hand that feeds you. The elderly have, by and large, counted on the young to support them in their dying years through the forced confiscation of wealth from the young by the government. Now this is coming back to bite them in a big way.

I am not without sympathy for them. But this is the seed of destruction they sowed decades ago. Any welfare system will always grow and expand until it cannot be funded anymore. This is a simple fact that can be viewed throughout history.

I am worried about all this because I do have grandparents on Medicare right now. They really don't have much alternative choices because Medicare is a government-monopoly. I don't plan on being in their position when I retire. I hope that I can save enough so that when I have privately-funded health care and not have to worry about any of this.

Now, I know I've said that Social Security is welfare and that there are people who don't believe it and they are technically right. But every year the government fails to count the unfunded Social Security and Medicare liabilities they currently have, so until they include that in the national debt, it's all welfare.