Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Atheists Are Like Every Other People Group

I’m not one to brag about my faith.  I freely admit that there are days when I struggle, when I wonder if this is really a meaningless existence we all seem to share or if life is some cosmic joke wrought upon us by an malicious flute-playing horror.  And I’ll be the first to agree with you when you tell me that Christians are stupid.

But I wouldn’t agree with you for the same reasons.  You see, I know that most people are stupid, regardless of their beliefs or ideals, and that no one group of people hold any monopoly on reason or wisdom.  Case in point, get a load of this image:

Now, I am going to assume that this atheist for Islam is not supporting Muslims because he agrees with their belief system.  Despite the fact that Sam Harris has said that he believes that Hinduism and Buddhism are compatible with atheism while communists were religious, this individual probably does not hold that same value system.

My only conclusion is that this atheist supports Islam because they are the only other large religious group out there who can oppose Christianity.  I certainly can’t argue with that line of logic, especially considering that most of the religious violence these days comes from Muslims and that many Christians are being persecuted in foreign lands by them.

But the sheer stupidity of supporting a violent group with a much more rigid set of rules should be obvious to even the most average of men.  We have seen and heard of the absurd things that go on in Islam-dominated countries.  From women being unable to appear in public without covering up as a form of farcical modesty to the stoning of rape victims, Islam seems to be a value system for barbarians.  Plus, if this individual were to hold up a sign that said “Atheists for Christianity” in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, or Egypt, I doubt he or she would last long on the streets.

Atheists represent a small minority of people in the West and are virtually non-existent in the rest of the world, excluding the communist countries where it is mandatory (even then, there are plenty of religious people in those countries who worship in secret).  It is utter foolishness to favor one religion over another when the one you oppose has set up a society with more liberties that don’t impose its beliefs on you.  Seriously, point to me the Federal law that requires everyone to believe in Jesus and the salvation that comes from Him.  The best you can say is that our money has “In God We Trust” on it, but considering that the Federal Reserve is a private entity, that argument falls flat.

In short, this person is probably incredibly stupid or simply blinded by hatred of Christianity.  Or both.  Either way, I’m certain that he or she represents a subset of the atheists who exist in the world today.

I mean, it’s not like having no belief in anything beyond the material makes you a deranged idiot, right?