Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry Christmas to All

Well, it Christmas time again. I generally don't get too excited about it, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Plus my wife does a pretty good job of perking me up during the Christmas season.

In any case, I tend to ignore the so-called "War on Christmas" and I did a pretty good job this year. I use to buy into the hype that it was so outrageous that this store or this organization was trying to suppress Christmas with "Happy Holidays." Sorry, but I have to laugh at all you morons who fight. The truth is, neither of you would be happy unless you were fighting each other.

If you are an atheist and you hate to hear Merry Christmas, then that's fine. But if you still celebrate it, then you're an absolute moron and a hypocrite. The reason for the season is the birth of God's Son and is completely incompatible with your belief system. Do yourself a favor and don't celebrate Christmas. You'll save money, time, and I promise I won't call you a Scrooge. I don't do that to my wife's Muslim friend, so why should I do it to you?

If you're a Christian and are horrified by all the stores and organizations fighting against Christmas, then maybe you should have a Christmas without presents or trees this year (a little late I know). Maybe it's time we all reflected on the true meaning a Christmas: that God, a being so beyond our capacity for understanding, who created us and who loves us in spite of our own preference for sin, sent His Word, His Son, to us as a simple man in order to redeem us all.

Really, it's up to you on how you celebrate. But fighting a war on Christmas every year is not only exhausting, but its boring and rather pointless. God is bigger than these petty fights and he will make sure His Word survives, no matter how much supposed or real government oppression exists.

In any case, I am going to try and enjoy my Christmas with my family. Unless they tick me off this year....