Wednesday, October 20, 2021

The Third Day of Diablo II

So Diablo II Resurrected came out and I've been playing it off and on recently.  Yes, I'm a fucking casual.  No, I won't apologize to a bunch of loser virgins for having a wife and kids.

Anyhow, I forgot how annoying the game gets after a while.  It's fun to play, don't get me wrong.

But in order to get to the endgame, you literally need godly gear, unless you play as certain specific character types.  Like one or two types.

And the main reason you don't have godly gear is because you have run against super-uniques and bosses thousands of times for the off chance you find something useful.

The drops rates in Diablo II were always terrible.  I mean, there are people who have played the game for 20 years and never seen a Zod rune or Tyrael's Might drop.  And yes, those are top-tier items, but if you play it for 20 years, you'd think something high-end would drop, right?

The fact is, the drop rates for Diablo II are abysmal.  I know that uniques, sets, and high-end runes are supposed to be rare, but not seen in 20 years of playing isn't rare, it's non-existent.

Oh yes, the item exists.  In theory.

But when it's so rare that it never drops, and that in order to have a small chance of getting it, you have to grind runs several times over while wearing inferior equipment.

And game grinding is just plain stupid, especially if you're a casual player.  I have a life outside of video games (kind of) and I don't have time to go through and do 1000 Hell Baal runs each night.

I'm not asking that getting these items should be super easy.  But maybe we could move the drop rates from 1 in 6000 to 1 in 300?

Just a thought.

But hey, what do I know?  I'm just a fucking casual.