Monday, July 20, 2009

Why I Support Sotomayor for the Supreme Court

Yes, that is correct.  I support a crazy, bigoted, single, Hispanic woman for the position of the highest court in the land.  But I do so, not because I agree with her point of view, but because she is open and honest about who she is.  As far as I can tell, she has made two remarks in the past that have pretty much confirmed to me that she is highly qualified for such a position.

The first of such remarks was when she said that the Federal courts, both Inferior and Supreme, are the law of the land.  She said that they make the policies that determine this country’s fate and direct us in the path to go.  While such a statement is debatable, as the Supreme Court has not really done anything incredibly big since 10 years before my birth (I was born on January 22, 1982), it certainly has the power to tell the President and the Congress “No.”  This power is largely unconstitutional in my view, as the United States Constitution never said the courts were to be the final arbiters of the law, but that is how the game is played, with few exceptions, ever since Marbury v. Madison.

This first remark I heard about from her, in the form of a sound bite on Rush Limbaugh’s show, demonstrates to me that even when she did not hold the highest office in the land, she was still arrogant enough to tell everyone what most judges think.  She speaks her mind and that is more than what can be said for other people in the court system.  Someone like her needs to be on the Supreme Court so that the irrational side can be fully exposed.  After all, when the motives and ideas of the irrational side are out in the open, the rational side will prevail in the end.  This is largely why left-wing politicians hide their true intentions and call for bipartisanship.  They know that is the only way they can win.

The second remark she said that made me fell that she was highly qualified was her statement that she knows better than a white male because she is a Hispanic woman.  Such blatant sexism and racism is refreshing.  Make no mistake, this was a racist comment to make, because racism is the belief that one race is superior to another simply because of race.  The same would apply for sexism.  While I certainly disagree with her statement, because to me it does not matter if you are woman or Hispanic and because the measure of superiority is an abstract and relative concept in any field, I do believe that she needs to be on the Supreme Court in order to prove her wrong.

I cannot wait to hear her opinions on various case laws.  They will probably be riddled with racist statements about how minorities and women (because there are more women than men in the United States, so they are not a minority), have been oppressed by a few elite white males like Ted Kennedy, Joe Biden, John Kerry, etc.  I cannot wait to hear about how people like me, a white man who has worked hard to get into the middle class, who went to college without too much debt and acquired a degree that has marketable value, is responsible for all the lynchings, all the Jim Crow laws, and all the assassinations that took place back in the 1960s.  It is OK, Justice Sotomayor, I got that guilt trip all throughout my literature readings in government schools, so I think I can take it.

For my fellow conservatives, this may seem like I am giving up on the country.  I am not.  I am only giving up on the government, something I did at around 2005 when President Bush was unable to deliver on so many things he promised and continued to allow Congress to raise spending, despite having a Republican majority in both houses.  It was then that I realized that the people who should have the will to fight do not and that the people who are fighting us, the people who have brought so much ruin on this world, have so influenced and corrupted the minds of the dumb masses, that I doubt our government and our country will be great this century.  But then again, a retired Bishop I traveled with in Uganda once said that he believes God has preserved this century for Africa.  The way things are going now, I could not agree more.